Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Getting started

So let's get you caught up.  Going way back... David and I met in high school where I sat behind him in Vocab for the College Bound with Mr. Deveroux.  I would spent the period pulling gel strand by stand from his ghetto fabulous hair (seriously, you'll have to see a picture.)  Later, I learned that he'd had a string of bad hair cuts authorized (encouraged?) by his mother, starting with a rat tail, later a mullet, and more currently the haircut I liked to call "The Wave".  Our first date was to the movie American Beauty (big mistake), and the next day we went to lunch at Mickey O'Reilly's.  It was spring break our junior year of high school, we were 16, and fell madly in love.  Well... after he got comfortable enough to talk to me, which only took 3 months.

David and I both attended UW (I admit it, I followed a boy to college) where he joined Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and I joined Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, right down the street from one another.  I learned two things here.  Lesson 1: the greek system is a dangerous place, focused solely on drinking and debauchery, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Lesson 2: never take a class with David Lodge.  He's the kind of guy that literally won't crack open his book until the evening before the final, only sporadically having attended class in the first place, and somehow managing to set the curve on every test.  In short, he's the guy you hate.  David fell in love with architecture in college, which he later realized had nothing to do with the physics and geometry of the construction that he really loved, so he changed his major to Construction Management (best decision ever).  I majored in Communications and Political Science, two of the most broad non-degress out there.  Turns out neither of these are careers.

We got married right out of college, had the whole Catholic church wedding with the big white dress, and an awesome party afterward with 300 of our closest friends. (We maybe only knew half of their names, but the party was legendary.) We were living in a rented 70's condo right on the Burke Gilman trail and across the street from Magnuson Park.  David was interning at Conner and finishing up his last year of school, and I was working for the man who would soon become UW's AD.  David later moved to Mortenson and I to UW Marketing, and we bought a tiny starter house in Wedgwood and a goldendoodle puppy.  We loved our puppy and our new home, epic parties ensued, and four years passed.

In March of 2010, we heard a rumor David was to be transferred to Portland for a great opportunity to manage his first project, a shit plant, and in two weeks and the biggest economic downturn since the great depression, we sold our house, got pregnant and moved to Portland.  And now you're up to speed.

UW graduation
Wedding
Barkley the goldendoodle
The day we left our home for Portland

No comments:

Post a Comment